Agarose staining

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Wed Feb 16 14:39:15 EST 1994

Dr. J.P. Clewley (jclewley at crc.ac.uk) wrote:
: In article <2jr4u9$6q8 at gabriel.keele.ac.uk>, pha23 at cc.keele.ac.uk (CWIS manager) writes:
: >
: > Can anybody give an ignorant physicist some sensible ideas about the best
: > methods (preferably with recipes) which we might be able to use to stain
: > agarose electrophoresis gels in such a way that we can distinguish single
: > stranded from double stranded DNA. We are currently using EtBr to stain all
: > our gels and have tried to use Sigma "Stains All". The Stains all does seem
: > to help in monitoring terminal transferase reactions but I'm not sure that
: > we have the best recipe. Anybody got any useful advice?
: > Trevor Forsyth, Physics Dept., Keele University, UK

: You might bee able to use acridine orange; I used it years ago to distinguish
: ss from ds DNA, but I don't have any current recipes.

See

G. K. McMaster, G. C. Carmichael (1977): Analysis of single- and double-
stranded nucleic acids on polyacrylamide and agarose gels by using
glyoxal and acridine orange. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 74, 4835--4838

G. C. Carmichael, G. K. McMaster (1980): The analysis of nucleic acids in
gels using glyoxal and acridine orange. Meth. Enz. 65, 380--391

--Cornelius.

/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (Edward O. Wilson, 1975)    */