Reference Manager

Richard Levenson levenson at duke.cs.duke.edu
Thu Feb 17 16:48:53 EST 1994

In article <199402161442.GAA29323 at net.bio.net> N490047 at UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU (Tom MacAllister) writes:
>Dear Netters,
>      I need some advice on reference data bases.  Preferably something that
>can utilize references downloaded from medline.  I am aware of Reference
>Manager and ProCite.  Are there others?  What are the advantages/disadvantages?
>Prices?  Sources?  Thanks.
>
>                          Tom
Tom:

i have been a very satisfied user of EndNote for many years.  It debuted on
the
Mac but is now available for Windows as well.  It handles references nicely,
and
since the database is indexed, searches are lightening-fast.  It is easy to
reformat references for inclusion in papers.  I use Grateful Med and can
import
my searches ,including abstracts, into EndNote very easily.  It is stable,
and I
have not corrupted my 1100+ reference-database in 5 years of use.

One nice feature not found in other reference managers to my knowledge is
the
ability to include references in the text of a manuscript (for reformatting
for
submission to a journal) as [Levenson, 1990] rather than some cryptic code
number.  Thus you can include references without having to check their code
in
your database, and you can look at your ms. and recognize which ref. is
which.

Good luck.

Richard