Archives?

Brian Foley brianf at med.uvm.edu
Thu Feb 17 15:23:53 EST 1994

Seth Findley (findley at U.WASHINGTON.EDU) wrote:

: Could somebody email me the address and commands for accessing FAQs data
: for this newsgroup?

: Thanks
: SDF

*                                                                 *
*                Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) list             *
*                for bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts                 *
*                                                                 *
*                Last update was on 08 June 1993                  *
*                                                                 *
ftp archives of all the BIOSCI/bionet messages are available at
net.bio.net
[134.172.2.69] in /pub/BIOSCI. Contact biosci at net.bio.net for further help
or comments on the archives.

If anyone would like to make additions or corrections to this FAQ list,
please send the information to:

Paul N. Hengen
National Cancer Institute
Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201 USA
e-mail: pnh at ncifcrf.gov

 1. What are some good reference books for methods in molecular biology?
 2. Where can I get information about the genotypes and phenotypes of
    common E. coli strains used in molecular genetics?
 3. How can I access MEDLINE?
 4. How do I amplify pBR322 plasmid using chloramphenicol?
 5. If a plasmid has more than one site for a particular restriction
    enzyme, is there some way to get the enzyme to cut at only one site?
 6. How I do prepare powdered silica for DNA purification, with the
    associated solutions?
 7. How do I use powdered silica to isolate DNA from agarose gels?
 8. How do I use silica powder to prepare plasmid DNA for sequencing?
 9. What is PCR?
10. What are some good reference books for PCR?
11. How should I select a set of primers to use for PCR?
12. What kinds of programs are available for designing PCR primers?
13. What is "Hot-start" PCR?
14. What is AP-PCR or RAPD PCR?
15. What is "Touchdown" PCR?
16. Is there a simple method to sequence lambda, M13, or plasmid
    clones using PCR?
17. What is solid-phase sequencing?
18. What is cycle sequencing?
19. What is the easiest and most cost efficient means to remove the Dye
    Deoxy-terminators for automated sequencing after cycle sequencing?
20. Is it possible to clean and re-use electroporation cuvettes?
21. Is there a simple subcloning method for plasmid construction?

	The answers follow in the FAQ, but I have deleted them here to save
bandwidth.  If you want the answers to the FAQs, FTP them from net.bio.net
or GOPHER them from IUBIO, or write to Paul Hengen.