Wizard Minipreps

Harry Hahn hhahn at macc.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 17 14:00:56 EST 1994

In article <1994Feb15.170555.1 at sara.cc.utu.fi>, malaine at sara.cc.utu.fi
wrote:

> >> As it turns out, the resin that they used to use is just plain old
> >> diatomaceous earth.
> >
> > Check out M. J. Carter and I. D. Milton, NAR 21(4):1044 for an article on
> > how to make this stuff on your own.
[...]

> Could you please post the recipe?

Briefly, resuspend 50 g diatoms (Sigma D 5-384) in 500 mL water, then let
settle for 3 hr. Pour off the supernatant (which presumably contains very
small diatom pieces you don't want) and resuspend in sol'n of 4M guanidine
thiocyanate (Sigma G-6639), 50 mM Tris-HCl pH 7.0, 20 mM EDTA. Store in the
dark. Should be stable for at least 3 months.

This is straight out of the reference above. They also give protocols using
this stuff, similar to the Magic/Wizard protocol except instead of passing
stuff through columns, you pellet the diatoms, kind of like the GeneClean
protocol.

One other note: I *think* Promega's kit uses a higher concentration of
guanidine thiocyanate.

HTH,
Harry