Overexpression

Jochen Kruip KRUIP%DMSWWU1A.earn at earn-relay.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 04:42:44 EST 1994

Hi netters,

we have cloned a gene for a membrane protein involved in cyanobacterial
photosynthetic electron transport. Now we want to overexpress this protein
in E. coli to get larger amounts for a detailed biophysical examination.
Is anyone out there who has experience with overexpression of membrane
proteins? What about the different kits avaiable on the market? What are
the advantages or disadvantages of a particular system? A special problem
seems to be that expression of our gene is lethal to the E. coli host so
we need a system based on a promotor under strong control. I don' t know
if these questions are covered by a FAQ. Anyway all suggestions are
welcome. I will post a summary to the net.

Thanx

Jochen Kruip, Institute of Botany, Schlossgarten 3, D-48149 Muenster
Tel.: 0049-251-833803

E-Mail : KRUIP at dmswwu1a.uni-muenster.de