Quantifying minute amounts of DNA?

Dr. Richard V. Goering rgoeri at BLUEJAY.CREIGHTON.EDU
Tue Feb 22 11:48:29 EST 1994

On 22 Feb 1994, Helgi Briem Magnusson wrote:

> Hello Netters.
>    Does anyone have a protocol for measuring the amount of
> DNA when you only have a tiny amount available, i.e. too
> little to visualize on an EtBr-agarose gel and too little
> to give a reading at 280nm when diluted?
>    Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards, Helgi Briem
> Inst. Exp. Pathol.
> Keldur, Iceland
We have been experimenting with a product marketed by GIBCO/BRL called
the FastCheck Nucleic Acid Quantification System (cat. no. 5595UA) for
exactly the reason you mention.  After a quick preliminary look, we like
what we've seen but we need to work with it a bit more to get an accurate
idea of the lower limits of detection.

(no relationship to any company, living or dead)

Richard Goering
Dept. Med. Microbiol.
Creighton Univ. Sch. Med.
Omaha, NE 68178