PROBLRMS WITH BIO-RAD SEQUI-GEN

Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU
Tue Feb 22 21:19:39 EST 1994

>We have had a similar experience.  Ususally some acrylamide will
>accumulate in the top reservoir when we have new people using it.  The
>best solution that we have found is to remove the accumulated
>acrylamide with a bent coat hanger and pray that the platinum wire
>doesn't get busted.  So far so good.  Has anyone else found a better
>solution?

Yep

Prevent the acrylamide from polymerising by pouring some water (70% ethanol
works even better) down the back before you start to pour the acrylamide
between the plates.

If you do get some polymerised a dilute solution of NaOH will eventually
dislodge it.

Cheers, Klaus
Klaus Matthaei
Gene Targeting