Bio-rad

jenkins at aidsun.nibsc.ac.uk jenkins at aidsun.nibsc.ac.uk
Wed Feb 23 08:54:12 EST 1994

----- Begin Included Message -----

We have had a similar experience.  Ususally some acrylamide will
accumulate in the top reservoir when we have new people using it.  The
best solution that we have found is to remove the accumulated
acrylamide with a bent coat hanger and pray that the platinum wire
doesn't get busted.  So far so good.  Has anyone else found a better
solution?

>   I have been using Sequigens for four years, with many sets of
> plates, and have never had this problem. The only problem we have
> is filling up the "top" reservoir with acrylamide! (and that's
> through our own stupidity, 'tho I'll bet we're not the only ones:-).
> --
> Michael Morris PhD
> Division of Medical Genetics       tel (Switzerland) (22) 702.56.94
> CMU, University of Geneva          fax (Switzerland) (22) 702.57.06
> Geneva, Switzerland                email mike at medsun.unige.ch

James F. George, Ph.D.              "Back off man, I'm a scientist"
Department of Surgery                --Bill Murray
University of Alabama at Birmingham
205-934-4261 voice
txpljfg at uabcvsr.cvsr.uab.edu

----- End Included Message -----

Prevention is better than cure!!

We use two systems;

firstly pour in to the top tank some TBE buffer to dilute the acrlamide

and/or

place some tissue at the top of the tanks to  absob the acrlamide before it runs to the bottom.

Both work in our hands.

              Adrian Jenkins
              jenkins at uk.ac.nibsc.computing

"I think I'll write my tombstone - Here lies Edmund Blackadder, and he's
    bloody annoyed."
                                    Edmund Blackadder  BA IV