PEG staining in protein gels?

Wendy Bedale bedale at macc.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 24 11:46:41 EST 1994

	I recently purified a protein where one of the
last steps was dialysis vs. solid PEG to concentrate
the protein.  I dialyzed again vs. the final protein
storage buffer, and ran the protein on an SDS gel.
After Coommassie staining, I noticed that there is a
broad smear that is migrating at around 8000
(I used PEG 8000 in the first dialysis, incidently).
This smear does not look like protein-
it is stained kind of a brownish color which looks a ghostly
white against a dark background.  The protein sample prior to
the PEG dialysis does not exhibit this strange smear.
I am wondering if anyone else has observed anything like this,
and if anyone can tell me if this strange smear is PEG or not.
 							Wendy Bedale
							bedale at macc.wisc.edu