Q: Digitizing an Autorad image

Jim Owens jow at helix.nih.gov
Thu Feb 24 09:10:03 EST 1994

In article <dkolk-230294075443 at clinical-mac-78.ucsd.edu> Dan Kolk,
dkolk at popmail.ucsd.edu writes:
>	We have attempted to digitized autoradiographic images using an
>Hewlett-packard scanjet IIc and Adobe photoshop with less than
spectacular
>results.  Has anyone out there had any success digitizing autorad images?

A Molecular Dynamics scanning densitometer will do this very nicely.
However, it is so expensive that your best bet is to find one already at
UCSD, or even anywhere in the La Jolla area.  The latest version of the
software is fairly straight forward to use, and you should get
comfortable with it in only a few scans.  Outputs data is suitable for
use in Excel or any other spreadsheet that accepts tab-delimited text.

In my case, the people in the next corridor had one that I could use as
long as I didn't overstay my welcome.  I.e., did not monopolize their
machine, and did not crash its computer.

Good luck,

Jim Owens