Protein Expression in E. Coli

Ben Davis bjd12 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 03:19:21 EST 1994

In article <2kg4at$3do at news.iastate.edu>, bipin at iastate.edu (Bipin K Dalmia) writes:
|> In article <1994Feb23.094010.4695 at inca.comlab.ox.ac.uk>,
|> Brian Smith <bos at nmrt.ocms> wrote:
|> >I would just like to strongly reject the idea of a separate newgroup for protein
|> >expression. I believe the traffic on any such newsgroup would mainly consist of
|> >"I'm trying to express this protein, but it's not working" posts, which are
|> >adequately catered for at present at present between this newsgroup and
|> >bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts>bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts.
|>
|> the traffic argument is not valid. in the immortal words of kevin
|> costner :) "if you build it, they will come". the majority of posts
|> would be "it's not working" kind but that would be the nature of this
|> newsgroup. people who have something that is working would logically not
|> bother to post with a "i made this and it's working" post, but if they
|> follow this newsgroup they can offer suggestions and tips on why their
|> system is working.
|>
|> your comments are welcome. i am looking for a discussion on how useful
|> this proposed newsgroup might be or how futile it would be. i strongly
|> believe that their are enough people out there doing protein expression
|> that they deserve a dedicated forum to express their successes and lacks
|> of it and benefit from the expertise of others.

	I'd like a protein expression newsgroup - there's just too much traffic
on bionet.molbio.methods-reagnts to make it practical to read, and since protein
expression can be incredibly frustrating, a chance to read how its not working
for other people either might actually be cathartic *grin*.
	More sensibly though, it does make sense - protein expression and
purification is just about the only "wet work" I do any more, being primarily an
NMR person. A newsgroup to swap ideas on would be good (even if it is smaller
than methods.reagents). Just from talking to other groups (IRL) I've found goos
suggestions.

|> bip
|>
|> --
|> bipin k. dalmia               the other night i was lying on my bed, looking
|> bipin at iastate.edu             up at the beautiful stars, and i said to myself,
|> n2.bkd at isumvs.iastate.edu     'where the F*CK is my ROOF !!'
|> --

	Ben