PROBLRMS WITH BIO-RAD SEQUI-GEN

Martin Kennedy mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz
Fri Feb 25 19:27:44 EST 1994

In article <940222123429.24042 at UABCVSR.cvsr.uab.edu>, txpljfg at UABCVSR.CVSR.UAB.EDU writes:
> We have had a similar experience.  Ususally some acrylamide will
> accumulate in the top reservoir when we have new people using it.  The
> best solution that we have found is to remove the accumulated
> acrylamide with a bent coat hanger and pray that the platinum wire
> doesn't get busted.  So far so good.  Has anyone else found a better
> solution?
> James F. George, Ph.D.              "Back off man, I'm a scientist"

We always run 100ml or so of water into the top tank before pouring the gel;
this dilutes any overflowing acrylamide, and usually prevents it spilling, or at
least makes it sufficiently sloppy to pour out later.

I seem to recall that BIORAD recommend a dilute solution of NaOH for dissolving
polyacrylamide out of the buffer reservoir.

--
Cheers,

Martin

	      Phone (64-3)364-0880  Fax (64-3)364-0750