restriction enz. from Spirulina

Francis Ouellette francis at borduas.nlm.nih.gov
Mon Feb 28 01:01:51 EST 1994

mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz (Martin Kennedy) writes:
: In article <9402231235.AA10995 at sesame.nibb.ac.jp>, losda at NIBB.AC.JP (Dmitry A. Los) writes:
: > Hello, netters,
: > Could you tell me, please, if you know any restriction endonucleases
: > from Spirulina platensis.
: > Thank you,
: >
: >
: > Dmitry A. Los
:
: If such an enzyme exists, and it is named with appropriate nomenclature, it
: should be "Spl" something-or-other.  In the back of the NEB Catalog, there is a
: comprehensive list of known enzymes - one is called Spl1.  I have no idea where
: it comes from, or if it is even from Spirulina, and I couldn't find a supplier
: of it, but it has an isoschizomer BsiWI, and cuts at C/GTACG.  Maybe NEB can
: give you more info.

A bettre place to check (although I always did like the NEB catalogue)
is REBASE, the restriction enzyme database, and it is available by
gopher at gopher.gdb.org

and you do find SplI, SplII, SplII, SplAI, SplAII, SplAIII and SplAIV

if we look at the first two, we get:

ID   SplI
ET   R2
OS   Spirulina platensis
PT   SplI
RS   CGTACG, 1;
CR   A,K.
RN   [1]
RA   Kawamura M., Sakakibara M., Watanabe T., Kita K., Hiraoka N., Obayashi A.,
RA   Takagi M., Yano K.;
RL   Nucl. Acids Res. 14:1985-1989(1986).
//
ID   SplII
ET   R2
OS   Spirulina platensis
PT   Tth111I
RS   GACNNNGTC, ?;
RN   [1]
RA   Kawamura M., Sakakibara M., Watanabe T., Kita K., Hiraoka N., Obayashi A.,
RA   Takagi M., Yano K.;
RL   Nucl. Acids Res. 14:1985-1989(1986).
//

where:

        ID     - Enzyme acronym
        ET     - Enzyme type
        OS     - Organism species
        PT     - Prototype
        RS     - Recognition sequence(s), cut site(s)
        MS     - Methylation site(s) and type                    [optional]
        CR     - Commercial sources for the restriction enzyme   [optional]
        CM     - Commercial sources for the methylase            [optional]
        RN     - Reference number
        RA     - Reference authors
        RL     - Reference location
        //     - Termination line