restriction enz. from Spirulina

Michael Coady coady at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Mon Feb 28 08:28:21 EST 1994

In article <1994Feb28.134334.426 at chmeds.ac.nz> mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz (Martin Kennedy) writes:
>In article <9402231235.AA10995 at sesame.nibb.ac.jp>, losda at NIBB.AC.JP (Dmitry A. Los) writes:
>> Hello, netters,
>> Could you tell me, please, if you know any restriction endonucleases
>> from Spirulina platensis.
>If such an enzyme exists, and it is named with appropriate nomenclature, it
>should be "Spl" something-or-other.  In the back of the NEB Catalog, there is a
>comprehensive list of known enzymes - one is called Spl1.  I have no idea where
>it comes from, or if it is even from Spirulina, and I couldn't find a supplier
>of it, but it has an isoschizomer BsiWI, and cuts at C/GTACG.  Maybe NEB can
>give you more info.

	The easiest way to find them is to use REBASE.  I accessed it
using gopher and found seven different enzymes from Spirulina,
including Spl I.  I'm sorry I neglected to include blurbs about
them here, but my system doesn't easily allow that.  If Dmitry
doesn't have access to gopher, he could use ftp to neb.vent.com
and find the info that way.

Mike

--
Michael J. Coady