LMP agarose gels run in TAE buffer (used to be:Purification from Low Melt)

Vernon Coyne vernon at micro.uct.ac.za
Mon Feb 28 09:38:52 EST 1994

In article <1994Feb24.141630.22721 at alw.nih.gov> Jim Owens <jow at helix.nih.gov> writes:
>From: Jim Owens <jow at helix.nih.gov>
>Subject: Re: Purification from Low Melt
>Date: Thu, 24 Feb 1994 14:16:30 GMT

>In article <1994Feb18.180245.22274 at alw.nih.gov> Jim Owens,
>jow at helix.nih.gov writes:
>>before they get me.  Thus, my method involves using phenol and
>chloroform.
>>
>>Cut the bands out and put in 1.5ml microfuge tubes.  Weigh the agarose in
>>........blah, blah, blah left out......

>From some e-mail responses I've gotten to my posting here, I should
>mention one other detail about my protocol:

>Recovery is decent only for LMP agarose gels run in TAE buffer.

>Good luck,

>Jim Owens

Jim and and other netters,

This is something that I have always done, but not known the reason why it is
so.  Could you please enlighten me as to the reason one should prepare LMP
agarose gels in TAE instead of TBE when purifying DNA fragments from the gel.
(I also always use TAE gels for Southern blotting to nylon membranes).

Thanks for your help.

Vernon

| Dr. Vernon E. Coyne,                                               |
| Microbiology Department,            Tel: (27-21) 650-3259/70       |
| University of Cape Town,            Fax: (27-21) 650-4023          |
| Private Bag,                        E-mail: vernon at micro.uct.ac.za |
| Rondebosch, 7700                                                   |
| South Africa                                                       |