Using DNA markers to check size of RNA

BARRY J MARGULIES bjmarg at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Sat Jan 1 21:57:49 EST 1994

In article <CIpGxt.BGH at umdnj.edu> bawagan at umdnj.edu (Hinayana Bawagan) writes:

>     I find it a pain to run RNA formaldehyde gels.  Even with 3 uls of RNA, I
>get the faintest signal.

There's an article in Biotechniques that describes the best way to see
RNA with ethidium.  I think it's from within the last 2 years or so
(maybe Jan. 91) and one of the authors is Gong.

>     I can use 0.5% TBE agarose gel but my problem is with DNA markers, I can
>only say that my RNA migrates with this band of DNA.  Can I do something to
>the DNA markers that will make them run like a ss RNA?  Has anyone out there
>establish that a single-stranded RNA of a particular size migrates with
>DNA of a particular size?

Many companies sell RNA markers.  I have used the ones from BRL, which
work well.  Hope this helps.
--
-Barry (bjmarg at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu)