35S volatility and incubators (an old thread revisited)

James B. Hutchins jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU
Mon Jan 3 15:48:08 EST 1994

Some time ago, there was a discussion of incubator contamination from
35S-cys and 35S-met labeling of cells _in vitro_.  Andrew Goldberg
(goldberg at unixg.ubc.ca) asked the original question, and the only
followup was from David Haviland (haviland at kids.wustl.edu).

I'm planning to do some experiments of this sort, so I pulled the old
thread from the archives (Fri Oct 22 1993).  There was no definitive
answer on the source of containment devices, but with the help of
David Haviland (thanks David!) I obtained the following information:

The supplier is Billups-Rothenberg, Inc.  Their voice and fax numbers are
the same: 619-755-3309.  I spoke with Dr. Wendy Shih who was quite helpful.
Their "Hot Box" system runs $498.50 to $548.50, depending on whether your
setup is single-gas (lower price) or dual-gas (higher).  They recommend
disposal of the filters after each use, at a cost of about $16 per set.

We will be purchasing this device in the near future, but as yet I have no
experience with it one way or the other.  Any advice/comments/suggestions
from other users on the Net is much appreciated.

Disclaimer: I have no connection whatsoever with Billups-Rothenberg.  I'm not
even a customer, since the purchase requisition hasn't been typed yet.

Hope this helps

Jim

Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at anat.umsmed.edu
Asst Prof of Anatomy            []     Asst Prof of Neurology
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []     Jackson, MS