35S volatility and incubators (an old thread revisited)

nishir at ohsu.edu nishir at ohsu.edu
Tue Jan 4 17:42:53 EST 1994

In article <CJ2n48.AL at anat.UMSMED.EDU> jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU (James B. Hutchins)
writes:

>Some time ago, there was a discussion of incubator contamination from
>35S-cys and 35S-met labeling of cells _in vitro_.  Andrew Goldberg
>(goldberg at unixg.ubc.ca) asked the original question, and the only
>followup was from David Haviland (haviland at kids.wustl.edu).
>
>I'm planning to do some experiments of this sort, so I pulled the old
>thread from the archives (Fri Oct 22 1993).  There was no definitive
>answer on the source of containment devices, but with the help of
>David Haviland (thanks David!) I obtained the following information:
>
>The supplier is Billups-Rothenberg, Inc.  Their voice and fax numbers are
>the same: 619-755-3309.  I spoke with Dr. Wendy Shih who was quite helpful.
>Their "Hot Box" system runs $498.50 to $548.50, depending on whether your
>setup is single-gas (lower price) or dual-gas (higher).  They recommend
>disposal of the filters after each use, at a cost of about $16 per set.
>
>We will be purchasing this device in the near future, but as yet I have no
>experience with it one way or the other.  Any advice/comments/suggestions
>from other users on the Net is much appreciated.
>
>Disclaimer: I have no connection whatsoever with Billups-Rothenberg.  I'm not
>even a customer, since the purchase requisition hasn't been typed yet.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Jim
>
>--
>Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at anat.umsmed.edu
>Asst Prof of Anatomy            []     Asst Prof of Neurology
>Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []     Jackson, MS

Hi Jim,

When a colleague of mine had a major contamination of his incubator with 35S
our radiation safety officer told him that he could have prevented it by
isolating the radioactive cultures in a small vessel (eg., large petri dish or
plastic box) with some activated charcoal to absorb the volatile hots.  I've
never had occasion to try this, but it might be cheaper than the isolation
device.  Does anyone else have experience with this?  Also, doesn't NEN sell a
form of 35S-methionine that is not as volatile as the usual?  Maybe someone
from NEN could help me out on this.

Rae Nishi
Assoc. Prof.
OHSU