help purifying asolectin from fluorescent impurities

zeljkos at vms.ucc.okstate.edu zeljkos at vms.ucc.okstate.edu
Wed Jan 5 20:32:17 EST 1994

HELP NEEDED IN PURIFICATION OF ASOLECTIN FROM
FLUORESCENT IMPURITIES
My problem is that I am not able to get rid of fluorescent impurities in
asolectin. It was purchased from Associated Concentrates (New York) in
1988. If to excite at 280-320, significant fluorescent background appears
in
 the region 320-400 nm . Hundred micrograms of asolectin suspended in 1
ml
of water give background of about 0.2 ( slit widths 5 and 5 nm, Perkin-
Elmer
650-40). Almost the same picture is observed in hexane. I would like to
reduce it to 0.02. Standard acetone washing makes only slight difference.
Ether/ethanol wash (including dissolving in ether with following
precipitation by ethanol) does not likely change background level. If
somebody is familiar with this problem I shall greatly appreciate any
information.
 tolkach at okway.okstate.edu