DNA extraction from BAC

Zhongtang Yu zyu at kirk
Thu Jan 6 13:31:17 EST 1994

Dear netters.
I am trying to extarc DNA from a biological activated carbon (BAC) which
is from a biological wastewater treatment plant.  There is ton of microbes
(mixed community) but I always get a very low yield when I extract DNA
from this BAC.  Microscopy showed that the cell lysis was quite complete
after lysozyme and freezing-thawing. Another experiment showed that fresh
activated carbon (without biofilm on the carbon particles) could adsorb
85% of the DNA in solution. No way to seperate the powdered carbon
particles and the microbial cells. Phenol does not desorb the adsorbed DNA
from the BAC though it can be adsorbed by activated carbon strongly.
Does any one have experience in extracting DNA from biologi al activated
carbon?

Thanks.