Effects of Argon

Ramin Charles Nakisa r.nakisa at ic.ac.uk
Thu Jan 6 13:26:39 EST 1994

One of the amazing things about anaesthetics is that they are so diverse in
structure.  They include alcohols (up to 12 carbons), alkanes (up to 9
carbons), halogenated hydrocarbons (halothane, chloroform), ketones
(acetone), steroids (alphaxalone) and barbiturates (pentobarbital).  And,
yes, the noble gases such as krypton and argon are also known to act as
anaesthetics.  Xenon is commonly used in castration operations!

I'm surprised that argon worked at atmospheric pressure.  I thought that
nitrogen, argon and krypton are only anaesthetics at high pressure.
< Ramin Charles Nakisa, "She walks in beauty Tel:    071 589-5111 x 6729   >
> Biophysics Section,   As the night of      FAX:    071 589-0191          <
< The Blackett Lab,     starry skies and     EMAIL:                        >
< London SW7 2BZ.                                    mbrcn at seqnet.dl.ac.uk >