digitonin in nuclei isolation buffer - why?

Grizzly Adams brownbrd at iastate.edu
Mon Jan 10 17:40:56 EST 1994

I am working on a project that involves isolating and examining nuclei, and of
several references I have, they all have 0.1% digitonin (v/v) in the isolation
buffer.  None of my professors, Biochemist friends, old textbooks, or the Merck
index have been helpful.  So far most responses are along the lines of "thats
in there. hmmm I've no idea why. All I know is that it is used for heart
attacks."

So, If anyone knows what it is doing there I'd love to hear from you, since I
really would like to understand what is going on.

thanks

eric anderson

brownbrd at iastate.edu
--- I certainly hope all my opinions are my own ---