repost: cellulase-minus E. coli

Mary Metzler, Plants, x8076 METZLER at ALA.BTK.UTU.FI
Wed Jan 12 09:16:45 EST 1994

Dear Netters,
	This is a re-post of an earlier mangled version of this request.
We're trying to clone a cellulase gene from our gram-positive bacteria,
so we need an E. coli strain which does not produce cellulase. We are
having some funny results in which DH5alpha doesn't produce cellulase,
but DH5alpha harboring pBluescript does. Does anyone know about why
this is happening? Are there some conditions which induce cellulase expression
in E. coli? Are cellulase-minus mutants available?
	Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Mary Metzler
Plant Physiology
University of Turku