PCR from RNA templates

Brian Foley brianf at med.uvm.edu
Thu Jan 13 11:28:01 EST 1994

Marcelo Carnier Dornelas (MCDORNEL at tuvira.ciagri.usp.br) wrote:
:     Does anyone out there knows if it is possible to run a PCR
: reaction using RNA templates? What kind of polymerase should be used?

	I have had great success using reverse transcriptase with an
oligo-dT primer, followed by PCR with either TAQ or Vent DNA polymerase
with my PCR primers.
	Although some low level of reverse transcriptase activity has
been reported for TAQ DNA polymerase under certain conditions, it is
not good enough to reverse-transcribe a full-length mRNA consistently.
Thus you need to use reverse transcriptase first to get the first strand
of cDNA made.