Home made gems don't "invert"

Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 15:44:59 EST 1994

In article <1994Jan13.160721.11176 at alw.nih.gov> jow at helix.nih.gov writes:

>He said for best results make the molten wax 10%
>mineral oil.  I haven't tried this yet. Duncan Clark's problem may be
>beads that are too small, but it might be that the 10% mineral oil would
>take care of the problem without increasing the volume.

I tried beads of 50ul and 100ul using a positive displacement autopippetor
with a syringe. The molten mix was pipetted onto aluminium foil to get it
to set quickly as beads. Commercial pellet makers drip the molten wax onto a
moving flat stainless conveyor belt. 100ul is better than 50 but is much
larger pellet than ampliwax. This problem can be solved by detergent
additives that ampliwax uses but as I say patents! Have you noticed that wax
doesn't melt in a microwave? I'll give the 10% mineral oil a try.

Duncan
Duncan Clark                        | Internet:    duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
GeneSys Ltd.                        | Compuserve:  100015.1406 at compuserve.com