Protein/DNA isolation

RYBICKI, ED ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Mon Jan 17 06:27:34 EST 1994

> >I was wondering if there were protocols out there which allowed
> >you to extract both the DNA and the protein from the same tissue.

> In the last Bio/technology there is an advertisement about TRI
REAGENT

There is another way...it's that wonder reagent C6H6O (phenol to you
non-chemistry majors)!  You simply do your phenol extraction of liq
N2-frozen and ground tissue (we use cheap coffee-grinders) - then
SAVE THE PHENOL PHASE, because that is where your proteins (or the
large bulk of them) will be...!  You can wash this free of insoluble
guck, then extract with 5 vol of ice-cold methanol (protein pptes).

enjoy,
 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |                                      |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |      "Lord, won't you buy me         |
 | Dept Microbiology           |          A Mer-ce-des Benz           |
 | University of Cape Town     |     My friends all have Porsches     |
 |                             |          I must make amends..."      |                      |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023       |            (Pearl, 1971)             |