Ericomp thermal cyclers

dkatz at earth.doane.edu dkatz at earth.doane.edu
Tue Jan 18 17:44:40 EST 1994

In article <lpcasson-160194150726 at manser3.jci.tju.edu>, lpcasson at phoenix.princeton.edu (Lawrence P. Casson) writes:
> In article <2h1g6i$dpj at news.u.washington.edu>, Tim Buss
> <tbuss at fred.fhcrc.org> wrote:
>
>> We have an Ericomp 'PowerBlock' thermal cycler.
>> IT WASN'T MY IDEA TO BUY IT!!!!
>> Anyway, we have had many problems with this machine. It has already been
>> repaired once but has now had a second nervous breakdown! Our loan
>> machine has now gone on strike in sympathy.
>> I would like to hear from you if you have been having problems with one
>> of these machines.

The only thing I can add is that I had experience with an Ericomp at the
Univ. Tenn. Vet School a couple of years ago.  In the end, the problems
we had with the machine were traced back to the power source we were
using: there were fluctuations in the power feed from the wall plug.
Once this was tracked down, and a monitor and regulator added, I under-
stand that the machine worked very well.  I can probably tell you that myu
(my) failure with PCR was not due to this, since I also used a fancy new
PerkinElmer unit.
Sue Katz,  DKatz at Doane.edu.