thermal cyclers

unknown at dl.ac.uk unknown at dl.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 13:13:14 EST 1994

Interesting that you should mention problems.  In our experience we
received a hybaid machine that was dead on arrival and as it turned
out, a plug had slipped loose from a circuit board, which we simply
plugged back in.  Their support staff was helpful in solving the
problem (replacement of the machine was not dicussed) and since then
the machine has worked well.

I think that hazards of this type are more common with machines like
this one because they do not have as robist as a design of the
Perkin-Elmer instruments.  Given that the PE machines are *much* more
expensive, you do get some benefit fromm the increased expenditure
because I have seen those machines take a pounding day after day and
continue to work reliably.  Some of the other instruments on the market
are less expensive becuase, simply put, they are built more cheaply,