sequencing gels; problems with plates and combs

John Nash nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca
Fri Jan 21 11:01:38 EST 1994

>From: ajp2o at crocus.medicine.rochester.edu (Anthony J. Persechini)

>Also, how can one avoid the problem of crumpling teeth on a sharks tooth comb?
>i.e; is there a nice relibale method that ensures that the comb will go back in
>easily?

>As for the second problem - I would love to know the answer also!
>
>Graham Threadgill
>Beckman Instruments
>e-mail Threadgillgj at mail.beckman.com

Go to a local art store and buy 0.3 or 0.35 mm Mylar sheets.  It will
cost about $5.  Cut out your own sharksteeth, side spacers and top
spacer.

I have been doing this for 6 or 7 years, and never had a problem
because Mylar is much better than the junk BRL use to make their
spacers and sharksteeth.

BRL use 0.4 mm thin spacers, and I get better resolution with 0.35 mm
thin gels.  You can also cut out the sharksteeth to whatever size you
want, and whatever well width you want.

--
John Nash                           (nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca)
Institute for Biological Sciences,  National Research Council of Canada,