sequencing gels; problems with plates and combs

John Nash nash at
Fri Jan 21 11:01:38 EST 1994

>From: ajp2o at (Anthony J. Persechini)

>Also, how can one avoid the problem of crumpling teeth on a sharks tooth comb?
>i.e; is there a nice relibale method that ensures that the comb will go back in

>As for the second problem - I would love to know the answer also!
>Graham Threadgill
>Beckman Instruments
>e-mail Threadgillgj at

Go to a local art store and buy 0.3 or 0.35 mm Mylar sheets.  It will
cost about $5.  Cut out your own sharksteeth, side spacers and top

I have been doing this for 6 or 7 years, and never had a problem
because Mylar is much better than the junk BRL use to make their
spacers and sharksteeth.

BRL use 0.4 mm thin spacers, and I get better resolution with 0.35 mm
thin gels.  You can also cut out the sharksteeth to whatever size you
want, and whatever well width you want.

John Nash                           (nash at
Institute for Biological Sciences,  National Research Council of Canada,
                 Yet another Aussie-in-exile ;-)