Is milk protein Y-phosphorylated?

paul haney paul_haney at qms1.life.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 21 03:54:28 EST 1994

In article <2ho1kl$ela at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, "JONG, SONG-MUH J"
<SJJ at icbr.ifas.ufl.edu> wrote:

> From: "Curtis L. Ashendel" <ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu>
> >You will (IMHO) never get a figure published in the reviewed literature if
> >it is of an anti-pY blot done with milk as a blocking agent.
>
> I found this statement very unfounded. We have been using non-fat
> dry milk as the blocking agent for anti-phosphotyrosine immunoblots
> and have not had much problem with the background.
>

> Song-Muh Jong
> sjj at icbr.ifas.ufl.edu

I saw an article called "Instantaneous Blocking for Immunoblots" by Miranda
et al. in Analytical Biochemistry 209:376-377 (1993).  In it, she describes
using polyvinyl alcohol (1 ug/ml in PBS) as a blocking agent for
immunoblots on nitrocellulose and PVDF membranes.  She says it has as low a
background as using powdered milk, doesn't cause loss of antigen, and it
blocks completely within 1 minute (!)  I haven't tried it yet, but I plan
to...

Ed Beaty
Ed_Beaty at qms1.life.uiuc.edu