Help: stripping northern blots

Jorge L. Sepulveda Jorges at bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Jan 25 10:27:01 EST 1994

Hi, netters,

I have been using Zeta-probe nylon membranes and pre-hyb/hybridizing at
65¡C in a solution containing 7% SDS. I get very high signal to noise
ratio with no background at all. The problem is that I can't stripp the
probes (boiling in water for 20' or heating overnight at 65¡C in 80%
formamide hardly knocks off any counts from the membrane). And yes, I
don't let the membrane dry at any time. The probes are not even homologous
(e.g. human GAPDH for rat RNA).

Thanks for any clues.

Jorge L. Sepulveda,

Dept. of Pathology,                        Email: Jorges at bcm.tmc.edu
Baylor College of Medicine                 Telephone: 713-798-7330
One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030        Telefax: 713-798-5838