cells in the middle do not express the protein

Brian Foley brianf at med.uvm.edu
Thu Jan 27 09:35:43 EST 1994

carlos h. pedemonte (pedemonte at Jetson.UH.EDU) wrote:
:  We have observed that cells that are in the border of the
: plates express a lot more b-gal than cells in the middle of the plate. Some
: of the cells in the middle of the plate do not express the protein at all.
: We think this is not due to the vaccinia or liposome solutions forming a
: meniscus because we have used a good amount of solution to avoid this kind
: of problem. Does anybody has any idea about this?

	Besides the meniscus, there are other fluid dynamics to consider.
When you plate cells, you will notice that they tend to distribute
unevenly if you swirl the plates before the cells attach.  Similarly,
perhaps your virus or liposomes are not getting evenly distributed.