SDS removal from samples

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Sun Jan 30 22:40:18 EST 1994

In article <1994Jan30.171855.3609 at tower>, mschweder at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu (Mark Schweder) writes:
> In article <2ih69j$avp at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Walt Lilly <C749SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU> writes:
> > We are purifying a protein using SDS-polyacrylamide gels in BIORAD's
> > Prep Cell system.  The enzyme retains it's activity in SDS, but we'd
> > like to find a way of removing (or at least decreasing the
> > concentration of) the SDS in fractions.
> >
> > Any ideas short of dialysis?
> >
> > Walt Lilly,  c749scb at semovm.semo.edu
>
> Try KOAc.
>    Mark Schweder
>            904-392-9004         |         mschweder at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu

or try gel purification.  Pass it down Sephadex G-25 and the protein should
be in the void volume, excess SDS on the column.  Monitor at 280 nm if you
can.
Anyway, I'm not sure if you can dialyse away SDS - has anyone tried?
Otherwise, I agree with Mark, just ppt. the SDS with potassium salts.
	Bernard
bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov