SDS removal from samples

Bernard Murray bernard at
Sun Jan 30 22:40:18 EST 1994

In article <1994Jan30.171855.3609 at tower>, mschweder at (Mark Schweder) writes:
> In article <2ih69j$avp at>, Walt Lilly <C749SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU> writes:
> > We are purifying a protein using SDS-polyacrylamide gels in BIORAD's
> > Prep Cell system.  The enzyme retains it's activity in SDS, but we'd
> > like to find a way of removing (or at least decreasing the
> > concentration of) the SDS in fractions.
> >
> > Any ideas short of dialysis?
> >
> > Walt Lilly,  c749scb at
> Try KOAc.
>    Mark Schweder
>            904-392-9004         |         mschweder at

or try gel purification.  Pass it down Sephadex G-25 and the protein should
be in the void volume, excess SDS on the column.  Monitor at 280 nm if you
Anyway, I'm not sure if you can dialyse away SDS - has anyone tried?
Otherwise, I agree with Mark, just ppt. the SDS with potassium salts.
bernard at