Northern blot with ribosomal RNA bands

Matthew Wakefield genmjw at lure.latrobe.edu.au
Sun Jan 30 21:01:08 EST 1994

In article <wzhou.2.0012F0DC at bimcore.cc.emory.edu>,
wzhou at bimcore.cc.emory.edu (Wei Zhou) wrote:

> Does any body have a strategy to prevent the non-specific binding of probes to
> ribosomal RNA in Northern Blots?  Thanks.

You might like to try different probe preparation techniques.  I found that
DNA probes primed with random primers in some cases gave a high background
(including ribosomal bands).  I had a similar problem but it just went away
before I could work out what was causing it.  It is probably a wise idea to
make a fresh batch of everything (especially your blocking reagents) and
try again.(easy for me to say)
Best of luck
(=)  Matthew Wakefield
(=)  Genetics and Human Variation
(=)  La Trobe University, Bundoora, VIC, AUSTRALIA
(=)  INTERNET  GENMJW at LURE.LATROBE.EDU.AU