Geneclean problems

Sebastian W. Bunka seb at i102pc1.vu-wien.ac.at
Fri Jul 1 01:36:45 EST 1994

Dr. D. Marazziti (dmarazzi at crc.ac.uk) wrote:
: We are having terrible problems with the BIO101 "Geneclean" kit.
: We have tested different  plasmids, rest. enzymes, researcher'hands
: and so on but we never obtain purified bands which can ligate efficiently.
: Apparently the problems started a couple of months ago (march-April 94)
: and we wonder if it has something to do with new batches of the kit shipped to Europe (Italy).
: We usually purify our DNA bands from Ultra Pure agarose (BRL) gel  run in
: TBE buffer.
: Any suggestion is gratly welcome !!!!

I was using Geneclean in the past and never had problems - worked just fine!
I now am using the (almost) same stuff from USB/Amersham: USBioclean MP
(in Austria 30% cheaper).
But I've heard from the people that import this stuff that they had
several times in the past problem with both kits regarding your problems.
They said that some batches were bad - so the only thing you can do - I
think - is to get a different batch.
Cheers, SWB
                      [ Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at ]
                        phone:                   FAX:
                +43-1-71155260          +43-1-7149110
Location: earth, europe, austria, vienna  Inst. of Bacteriology  Vet.Univ.