IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

Geneclean problems

Mr. Steven Swift; BIOL; GRAD sswift at umbc.edu
Fri Jul 1 10:12:00 EST 1994

Bruce E. Taillon (bt0u+ at andrew.cmu.edu) wrote:
: >We are having terrible problems with the BIO101 "Geneclean" kit.
: >We have tested different  plasmids, rest. enzymes, researcher'hands
: >and so on but we never obtain purified bands which can ligate efficiently.
: >Apparently the problems started a couple of months ago (march-April 94)
: >and we wonder if it has something to do with new batches of the kit
: shipped to 
: >Europe (Italy).
: >We usually purify our DNA bands from Ultra Pure agarose (BRL) gel  run in 
: >TBE buffer.
: >Any suggestion is gratly welcome !!!!
: > 
: >Daniela Marazziti
: >Insti. of Cell Biology, CNR, Viale Marx 43, I-00137 Rome
: >fax: +39-6-8273287
: >e-mail: daniela at biocell.irmkant.rm.cnr.it

: In agreement with the other replys - switch to TAE.  Also I have found
: that doing the purification right away is important.  I never let the
: DNA sit in the gel slice for more then overnight.

: good luck, 

: Bruce Taillon
: Washington University in St. Louis
: Biology Dept.

  I've kept gels slices at -20C for several days without problems, and while 
  I wasnt trying to analyze my success rate with ligations with this DNA,
  I did subclone my DNA fragments about as well as ever. 

STEVE SWIFT - sswift at umbc7.umbc.edu
To state the obvious, my opinions are my opinions, and do not necessarily 
represent any one else's. 

More information about the Methods mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net