fuzzy logic

Robert Preston rapr at MED.PITT.EDU
Sat Jul 2 00:05:44 EST 1994

Forwarded message:
> From: lab_winoto at maillink.berkeley.edu (Winoto lab)
> Subject: Fuzzy Logic and gene expression?
> Hi people,
> Has anyone out there thought about or used fuzzy logic to explain or
> model the behavior of genes under the control of multiple cis-acting
> control elements.  For instance, can the behavior of a cluster of genes
> like those at the beta-globin locus be described by fuzzy logic
> modeling.  How about the HOX clusters or any developmentally expressed
> gene (enhancers, locus control regions, silencers, origins of
> replication etc.)  Any thoughts on the subect?
> Let's keep this discussion on the net.
> Paul W. Diaz

Paul, that sounds interesting, given that some controls (many?) would
be low-copy number probabilistic (stochastic might be the right buzz
word) elements.  However, I'm not sure the methods group is the right
place for such theoretical discussion.  I for one have always used
fuzzy logical thinking (is there any other kind?) even about non-
stochastic processes, although I think it goes by name "rationalization"
(post hoc) or "dreaming" (pre-hoc) in relation to actually doing a
bloody experiment.

Rob
rapr at med.pitt.edu