Chomczynski protocol

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu
Fri Jul 1 08:00:00 EST 1994

In Article <01HE3TI6P21U8ZMWSC at delphi.com>, BIOMETRA at BIOTECHNET.COM wrote:
>Hi Netters,
>        Has anyone used the Chomczynski protocol that appeared in
>Biotechniques(1993) vol 15. no. 3 page 532.  This procedure is supposed
>to simultaneously isolate RNA, DNA and protein.  I have seen an add in
>Science from a company called Molecular Research Center that sells
>a kit for this called Tri Reagent.  Has anyone used the kit?  Does
>this procedure really work?  How are the yields of each? Purity?  Can
>the DNA and RNA be further manipulated (PCR, Restriction Digests, Ligation)
>

>Tony
 Hi Tony,
    I have used TRI-Reagent for several months now and I am quite pleased
with its performance. The yields of RNA and protein are excellent, although
I have not tried purifying DNA from this stuff, I suspect this would work
well also. The procedure is fast and easy. I have previously used the
original Chomczynski method and CsCl gradients to purify RNA, but I much
prefer TRI-Reagent.

Tracy