books on PCR

ellenmq at nickel.ucs.indiana.edu
Sat Jul 2 16:28:46 EST 1994

Robert Preston (rapr at MED.PITT.EDU) wrote:
: according to:
: > From: ellenmq at nickel.ucs.indiana.edu ( )
: > Subject: Re: books on PCR
: > Date: Sat, 2 Jul 1994 17:58:16 GMT
: > This is not a methods book, but does shed an interesting light on the way
: > Kary Mullis views PCR and his role.
: > The reference is The Polymerase Chain Reaction by Kary Mullis, Francois
: > Ferre, and Richard A. Gibbs, Foreword by James D. Watson, Published by
: > Birkhauser,1994,ISBN 0-8176-3750-8, 3-7643-3750-8.
: >
: > Ellen
: > ellenmq at bronze.ucs.indiana.ed
: >
: Well, it seems like a methods book to me!!!  I mean, they look like
: methods, even protocols in some cases, and the jacket of the book, right
: in front of me, makes the reasonable (IMHO) claim that "this book provides
: the most up-to-date methodological protocols from the world's leading
: laboratories, as well as exciting new techniques and enhanced applications
: not yet available in book form.  Nearly forty chapters...blah blah blah.
: The forward by Watson and the preface by Mullis are (non-methodological)
: jewels, and Mullis has a chapter describing the Cetus/Dupont patent fight,
: also non-methodological, of course (although I know a lawyer or two that
: I'd LIKE to thermal cycle) (yeah, yeah, OK, I know some good ones too).
: Oops forgot to close my quote, above, just before the blah blah blah.
: I have no financial or personal connection to the Mullis et al. book,
: BTW.
: Rob Preston
: rapr at med.pitt.edu

Well, Rob, although there are some traditionally represented methods found
in the Mullis book (chpts 2, 8, and 18), it is more a descriptional methods/
protocols book in my view. If someone is looking for a book that says
specifically how to make up solutions, or mixes etc., another book might be
preferred. The Mullis book is an excellent book on many levels, but is not
exactly the same as a book like "Current Protocols" or the "Molecular Cloning:
A Laboratory Manual". The Mullis book gives good background and theory behind
many PCR applications, with beautiful photos of gels to show what you should
see when performing these methods as well as troubleshooting tips. It also is
an invaluable reference source.
I think that we agree that it's a good book and I had no intention of
misrepresenting it's contents; it was only an opinion.

Ellen Quardokus
ellenmq at bronze.ucs.indiana.ed