books on PCR

Robert Preston rapr at MED.PITT.EDU
Sat Jul 2 14:51:05 EST 1994

according to:
> From: ellenmq at nickel.ucs.indiana.edu ( )
> Subject: Re: books on PCR
> Date: Sat, 2 Jul 1994 17:58:16 GMT
>
> Ed Beaty (edbeaty at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu) wrote:
> : In article <2up875$m79 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, WMGDDM <WMGDDM at CARDIFF.AC.UK>
> : wrote:
> : >     Does anyone know of any recent publications on
> : > PCR ? I seem to remember some postings about a new book
> : > recently (but didn't note the author, title, etc).
> : >     Could someone re-post the details
> : > Thanx
> : > Dave Morgan
>
> : I believe that Kary Mullis (Mr. PCR himself) recently authored a book on
> : PCR.  I think it was called "PCR"  (kinda sums it up right there, doesn't
> : it?)  It came out this year.  I don't know who the publisher is, though.
> : Hope this helps! Ed Beaty
> : edbeaty at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>
> This is not a methods book, but does shed an interesting light on the way
> Kary Mullis views PCR and his role.
> The reference is The Polymerase Chain Reaction by Kary Mullis, Francois
> Ferre, and Richard A. Gibbs, Foreword by James D. Watson, Published by
> Birkhauser,1994,ISBN 0-8176-3750-8, 3-7643-3750-8.
>
> Ellen
> ellenmq at bronze.ucs.indiana.ed

Well, it seems like a methods book to me!!!  I mean, they look like
methods, even protocols in some cases, and the jacket of the book, right
in front of me, makes the reasonable (IMHO) claim that "this book provides
the most up-to-date methodological protocols from the world's leading
laboratories, as well as exciting new techniques and enhanced applications
not yet available in book form.  Nearly forty chapters...blah blah blah.
The forward by Watson and the preface by Mullis are (non-methodological)
jewels, and Mullis has a chapter describing the Cetus/Dupont patent fight,
also non-methodological, of course (although I know a lawyer or two that
I'd LIKE to thermal cycle) (yeah, yeah, OK, I know some good ones too).
Oops forgot to close my quote, above, just before the blah blah blah.

I have no financial or personal connection to the Mullis et al. book,
BTW.

Rob Preston
rapr at med.pitt.edu