Who sells my ideal E. coli expression vector?

Song Tan tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch
Mon Jul 4 13:08:10 EST 1994

In article <2v8hif$j90 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> ANDY PHILLIPS
<andy.phillips at afrc.ac.uk> (Tel +44 275 392181 EXT 257) writes:

>We have two plant cDNAs of unknown function that we want to express in E.
>coli for making antibodies. The expression vector should have as many as
>possible of the following features:
>1. T7 promoter
>2. C-terminal purification tag, eg 6xHis, to avoid isolation of truncated
>       products
>3. N-terminal tag for further purification eg GST
>
>Less important:
>4. Kan resistance, if possible, for plasmid stability (works better than Amp in
>       our hands)
>
>Anyone know where I could get hold of such a beast?
>
>Thanks,
>Andy Phillips
>andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
>Long Ashton Research Station
>Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK

I don't think you're going to be able to buy such a vector from one
distributor.

Novagen has the sole distribution rights to the Studier pET vector system based
on the T7 promoter and a couple of these pET vector provide a C-terminal 6xHis
tag.  I believe that the pET24 series has C-terminal 6xHis tag and uses
kanamycin resistance.

Pharmacia seems to have the distribution rights to the GST vectors (pGEX).

Other company may offer non-Studier type T7 promoter based expression vectors,
so it's still possible that some one out there sells just what you want.  I
have my doubts.  But you could create your ideal vector from the Novagen pET
and the Pharmacia pGEX.

I suspect, though, that either pET or pGEX alone will be sufficient for your
needs (overexpressing polypeptides for antibodies).

Oh, Novagen's distributor in Europe is AMS Biotechnology (UK tel:
44-0-993-706500, UK fax:  44-0-993-706006).   And Pharmacia, is, well,
everywhere.

Hope this helps.  Usual disclaimers apply:  no connection to Novagen or
Pharmacia except using their products, etc..

Song Tan
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biophysics
ETH-Honggerberg (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology)
8093 Zurich, Switzerland
email:  tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch