PCR Tubes -- Help!

Patricia Foster pfoster at bu.edu
Tue Jul 5 15:37:11 EST 1994

Dear Netters,
    And now for something completely different.  We buy our PCR tubes
from Perkin Elmer.  These are the regular 0.5ml, thick-walled tubes, part
N8010180.  We have for some time been using a large supply that we
ordered last summer.  Recently we started using some that were
purchased last December and discovered that, when autoclaved, the
caps will not stay shut.  Upon careful inspection, you can tell that the
caps are significantly more loose even before autoclaving -- they don't
snap like the old ones do.  We have contacted Perkin Elmer and they
sent us another lot that have the same problem.  They deny that any
change in production has occurred.
    We are not crazy!  These tubes are different, and are totally useless if
autoclaved.  Obviously, we are currently using them without autoclaving,
but this is not a permanent solution.  Also, I use 35S in cycle-
sequencing and had never had any contamination with the old tubes;
now I am very worried about the new ones.
   Anyone else out there notice this.  And are there alternative sources of
tubes?
Pat
--
Patricia L. Foster