DIG vs ECL

Anne Skaja Robinson skaja at aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 5 18:20:24 EST 1994

>Currently I am deciding between the Genius System (Boehringer Manmheim) which uses digoxygenin versus the enhanced chemoluminesence (ECL) system (Amersham). The literature reports about equal sensitivity for these two methods. Has anyone done a comparison between these two labelling systems or others which may help me decide which way to go?

>Thank you,
>M. Dennett

Yes -- I did a one on one comparison with the same samples, same antibodies,
and found background and sensitivity to be much better with the ECL system.
I think this is the nature of the enzyme tags used in each system -- the ECL
system relies on a Horse Radish Peroxidase enzyme that at least in our lab
works much better in all cases.