How to dry the DDRT-PCR gel?

at umich.edu
Tue Jul 5 13:37:50 EST 1994

In article <suhy.5.2E178B03 at kahu.lincoln.ac.nz>, suhy at kahu.lincoln.ac.nz
(Hung-Yi Su) wrote:

> Dear Netters:
>
> According to the current protocols in Molecular Biology, the diffferential
> display of 6% denaturing PAGE/Urea gel is dried at room temperature for
> about 1 hour.  Is that any reason the gel can not be dried with heat?
> I have tried to dry it at RT for 1 hr and overnight.  For 1 hr, the gel wasn'
> t dried at all.  For O/N drying, the gel was broken into pieces.
> These 2 gels were dried without vacuum.  One publication said the gel was
> dried on the plate or transfered to a filter before exposed to X-ray film.
> Do these people dry the gel without vacuum?

Hi fellow netter,

You MUST ALWAYS dry gels under vacuum because it is impossible to dry
otherwise. Most gels are not dried at room temp either but at 80 degrees
centigrade. If you think carefully water can travel very easily through
gels if there is a force to drive it but evaporation will cause the gel to
dry unevenly unless it is done extremely quickly. The thicker the gel the
faster the drying process must be.
I would not just dry with heat and no vacuum because it still will not work
nearly as well as it should if fact a vacuum and no heat would be better.
Email me if you need to at sdcoon at umich.edu

Steve