Non-radioactive nuclear run-on assays

Jim Owens jow at helix.nih.gov
Wed Jul 6 15:37:12 EST 1994

In article <MAILQUEUE-101.940705165621.448 at vmp.vetmed.wsu.edu> Glenn
Cantor, GCANTOR at VETMED.WSU.EDU writes:
>Does anyone know if it is possible to do non-radioactive nuclear run-
>on assays?  Is biotinylated rUTP available?  Are the nuclei
>permeable (or can they be made permeable) to the biotinylated UTP?

A nuclear "runoff" with Boeringer Mannheim's digoxigenin-UTP has been
reported by Sandra Mersher, et al., in BioTechniques 16:1024-1026 (June,
1994).  I have not done this myself, so I cannot vouch for this method.

I am uncertain about the difference between runoff and run-on
transcription, but I have been instructed on this news group that there
IS a difference besides on which side of the Atlantic the experiment is
performed.  The procedure in this article looks like a run-on to me.

Good luck,

Jim Owens