Ligase Chain reaction for RNA?

Kevin O'Donnell odonnell at sasa.gov.uk
Thu Jul 7 00:29:27 EST 1994

Alex Chang <lpss at unixg.ubc.ca> wrote :

>I have two spliced RNA fragments from a precursor hepatitis delta RNA,
>I'd like to know whether there is a base or two got deleted during the
>process of splicing.
>
>I would appreciate it if someone could give me some idea whether I could
>use the same strategy of LCR to detect it. I do have the DNA template
>(plasmid DNA) from which the hepatitis delta RNA transcribed from. I
>guess the critical part is, whether the heat stable ligase used in LCR
>could link two ajacent RNA fragment (which are bound to the DNA
>template).
>
>--
>Alex Chang
>Microbiology
>University of British Columbia
>lpss at unixg.ubc.ca

I suspect (though I don't know for certain) that DNA ligase will not ligate RNA.
However, why don't you make a cDNA copy of your spliced RNA and use that as your
LCR template?

Kevin O'Donnell
Scottish Agricultural Science Agency     "We must combine pessimism
East Craigs                               of the intellect with
Edinburgh           Tel. 031 244 8924     optimism of the will."
EH12 8NJ            Fax  031 244 8940
Scotland                                  Antonio Gramsci
odonnell at jura.sasa.gov.uk