transducing recA w/o tetR ?

EriK erik_read at powershare.life.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 6 17:48:29 EST 1994

In article <CsH3DG.76H at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>,
jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (the End) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone used P1vir to transduce E. coli to recA- using a marker other than
> tn10(tetR) ? My host strain is already tetR and I have been trying to move
> a tn9-200 linked recA marker from DB1319 (recA938::Tn9-200). So far no
> luck.
>
> Does anyone see any inherent problems in this strategy (eg. transducing a
> tn9 linked mutation) ?
>
> thanks,
>
> Jim
> J. E. Graham

Here's my 2 scents worth....in Salmonella typhimurium srl::tn10dTet is
often used as a closely linked marker for the transduction of recA1
(approx. %12). When TetR cannot be used people often try srl::Tn10dCam.
There are also strains (both E.coli and S.typhimurium) which has a
Kanamycin cassette inactivating recA. You can do P1 transductions between
S.typhimurium and E.coli (with a commensurate reduction in efficiency)

I hope some of the above core dump is useful

EriK