Who wants to accept this big challenge?

A428ENDE at HASARA11.SARA.NL A428ENDE at HASARA11.SARA.NL
Wed Jul 6 16:20:59 EST 1994

Hello everyone,

For almost a year we have tried to solve a sequence problem, but we
didn't succeed so far. What is the case? As explained in another
message in this newsgroup we have a piece of DNA which has a very
strong secundairy structure so the sequence reaction stops (visible
as a very hard signal in every lane and no visible bands thereafter
even after long exposure). The total length is about 150 bp!
We have got a lot of responses regarding to this problem and almost
everything is now tried with hardly any result. The only thing we
haven't tried is the Maxam and Gilbert chemical sequence method. Why
not? Well we don't have the experience and it is a hard time to
optimise a new protocol if all you realy want is just one sequence
run. And in this case we have to start from scratch. OK, Sigma sells
a kit for chemical sequencing but then you still have to optimise it
with a troublesome piece.
So if anyone out there is regular sequencing the Maxam and Gilbert
method and wants a great challenge, please let us know. We can send
the DNA anyway you want and are forever indebted to you if you
succeed.

Henk van de Kamer
Section Plant Physiolgy,
Dept. of Molecular Cell Biology,