V517 strain - Size of plasmids?

Peter M. Muriana muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
Thu Jul 7 20:40:13 EST 1994

In article <1994Jul7.174538.1 at samba.cnb.uam.es>, jenfedaque at samba.cnb.uam.es writes:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm using the E.coli strain V517 as standard in plasmid preps.
>This strain harbors many plasmids, so it can be used to size any
>plasmid in its circular form. The problem is that I don't have
>the reference for the strain, nor the molecular weights of the
>plasmids (I have some guess in MDa, but I would prefer the size in
>Kbp).
>
>Does anyone know something about this strain (source, references,
>list and size of plasmids) ? I would be eternally grateful for
>this information ;-)
>
>Thanx,
>
>Sonia
>
>Dept. Microbiology
>Fac. of Pharmacy
>Univ. of Barcelona (Spain)

Yes, the original article describing the plasmids contained in E.coli V517
appears in Plasmid 1:417-420, 1978, by Macrina et al. who sized the 8
plasmids in the strain by electron microscopic analysis.  Although the
strain has been used as a source of CCC pDNA for size analysis of pDNA, the
distribution of the 8 plasmids (7 plasmids between 1.36-4.82 MDa, one of
35.84 MDa) makes direct analysis of intermediate sized plasmids somewhat
difficult compared to the distribution of current commercial preparations
(i.e., BRL's Kb-ladder).
Regards, Peter
*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.		Phone	= (317)-494-8284	*
*  Dept. of Food Science		FAX	= (317)-494-7953	*
*  Purdue University		E-mail	= muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu	*
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907                                        	*