Ligase Chain reaction for RNA?

Michael van Waes bi__mvw at SELWAY.UMT.EDU
Thu Jul 7 11:46:22 EST 1994

>Alex Chang <lpss at unixg.ubc.ca> wrote :
>
>>I have two spliced RNA fragments from a precursor hepatitis delta RNA,
>>I'd like to know whether there is a base or two got deleted during the
>>process of splicing.

slice/splice

Kevin O'Donnell wrote:

>I suspect (though I don't know for certain) that DNA ligase will not ligate RNA.
>However, why don't you make a cDNA copy of your spliced RNA and use that as your
>LCR template?
>

>Kevin O'Donnell
>Scottish Agricultural Science Agency     "We must combine pessimism
>East Craigs                               of the intellect with
>Edinburgh           Tel. 031 244 8924     optimism of the will."
>EH12 8NJ            Fax  031 244 8940
>Scotland                                  Antonio Gramsci
>odonnell at jura.sasa.gov.uk

I don't know about the thermostable ligase, but other DNA ligases (eg T4)
do ligate RNA; see Moore and Sharp in Science May 15, 1992.

Cheers    MvW

	   Michael van Waes	        |
	   Div. of Biol. Sci.	        |  "I never worry about the future,
	   Univ. of Montana	        |       ... it comes soon enough. "
	   Phone: 406-243-5733  	|
	   bi__mvw at selway.umt.edu	|            	Albert Einstein.